HOW TO BLESS HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS DURING THE HOLIDAYS
WHAT ARE HOLIDAY GIFT BASKETS?
Holiday Gift Baskets are baskets we prepare for students and their families to ensure students have food for Thanksgiving and food/gifts for Christmas.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF GIFT BASKETS?
The purpose of our Holiday Gift Baskets is to bless students and their families in a tangible way.
WHEN DO HOLIDAY GIFT BASKETS TAKE PLACE?
We give away Holiday Gift Baskets the week of Thanksgiving and the first weekend of Winter Break, for Christmas.
HOLIDAY GIFT BASKET TIPS
- Reach out to the campus to see if there are any current donation drives that benefit students of the school. If so, inquire about how you can help. If not, express a desire to do this and offer to provide this for any student in need, not just students who attend Jesus Club. If there are a certain amount of students/families you are able to provide with a Holiday Basket, make this number known in advance.
- Reach out for donations starting in September and October. Invite your church and community members to be a part of the solution for families by providing donations to make these Holiday Gift Baskets possible.
- A month before each holiday, have students sign up their families and keep track of their contact info. You may need to follow up with some students to get any missing information. See Student Leader Tips below for more details.
- Send out reminders to students with the details of when, where, and how they will receive their baskets.
- Do not ask for any proof of need. Invite anyone to participate if it would be a blessing to their family and trust that the donations will be a blessing to those who receive them.
STUDENT LEADER TIPS
- Ask your teacher advisor/school administrators if your school currently runs a program to provide food and gifts to families in the school for Thanksgiving and Christmas. If your school does donations for your peers, connect with the teachers in charge of this to see how your club and the adult volunteers can partner with them to make these drives the best they can be. If not, offer to help make this happen for your school.
- If needed, work with your teacher advisor to get these drives approved.
- Announce this opportunity at Jesus Club and invite your peers to sign up. You can have students sign up using a paper form or you can create an online form (Google and Microsoft both have online forms you can create for free). Information you will want to gather includes: student name, grade, number of people in their family, student phone number, and parent phone number. For Christmas, you will also want to know the number of siblings, their gender, age, and interests to help provide thoughtful gifts. You can also request their address if you will be delivering the Holiday Gift Baskets to them. If you will be hosting the distribution of Holiday Gift Baskets on your campus, you will not need addresses.
ADULT VOLUNTEER TIPS
- Work with student leaders to see how Jesus Club can best serve the families of their school for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Coordinate donation requests from your church as well as from outside organizations.
- Follow up with student leaders to review their signup forms and confirm that they have included all the needed information on the form. Also, work with the student leaders to ensure that they have clearly communicated pertinent information to the students in a timely manner.